1. What is DataNinja? What can it do for me?
DataNinja is an Android application that can provide robust and boosted connectivity, as well as bandwidth sharing capability with your friends and family. In connectivity or bandwidth challenged areas, DataNinja allows you to combine your Wi-Fi and mobile connections, together with those from your nearby devices, so you can enjoy uninterrupted and enhanced streaming experience.
We welcome your honest comments and feedback about the application for its future improvements.
2. Where can I get DataNinja?
DataNinja is available at Google Play Store. You can download it from Google Play Store just like downloading any other applications.
3. What models of Android devices does DataNinja support?
Any smartphone running Android operating systems 5.0 (a.k.a. Lollipop) or above is supported.
Certain versions of KitKat devices such as those running Android operating systems 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 are also supported, although they may no longer be supported in the future.
4. I am new to DataNinja. Can you briefly walk me through its basic features?
DataNinja allows you to boost the Internet speed of a device, either your own device or a nearby device of your friend or family.
You can use any of your existing Google IDs such as your Gmail ID to sign into the app. After sign-in, you will be landed on the main screen, where you can select to either “Boost My Device” or “Boost Another Device”.
• With “Boost My Device” option, you can combine your own Wi-Fi connection with your own mobile connection, or combine your own connections with your nearby friends’ connections on their devices, to boost the internet speed of your device. Follow on-screen messages to accept any help invitations and enjoy the experience. A less obvious but important feature under this option is “tethering”, where you can gain Internet access via one or more nearby devices without using your own Wi-Fi or mobile connections.
• With “Boost Another Device” option, you can offer help to your nearby friend by allowing them to transfer part of their data streams using your own Wi-Fi and/or mobile connections. You can set a monthly limit on the amount of mobile data you are willing to “donate” to each of your friends in Settings > Friends. You can also specify a global monthly mobile data limit for all the others who are not in your friend list.
After a session is ended, you can obtain your usage on Recent History screen accessible via a button at the upper-right corner of the main screen. The application can be configured in Settings menu, accessible via the “Hamburger” icon in the upper left corner of the main screen.
5. I know I am connected to a Wi-Fi access point. Why is my Wi-Fi connection showing very low usage?
Your device’s Wi-Fi connection may be in a bad state. Simply turn off and on the Wi-Fi setting on your device, the problem should disappear.
6. What does “0.0 x boosting” mean?
It means that there is no data being transferred for certain time interval.
7. What do the red and green arrows in the upper left corner mean when I am running some applications?
The red arrow indicates a relatively low data speed going through DataNinja application whereas the green arrow indicates a relatively high data speed, with the direction of an upward arrow meaning upload data flow and the direction of a downward arrow meaning download speed.
8. Why is there no boosting when I run my application?
There could be multiple reasons why you may not see or experience boosting.
First, DataNinja needs to be running in Boosting mode before boosting is displayed. Selecting “Boost My Device” on the main screen will get the application in the Boosting mode.
Second, the application for which bandwidth needs to be boosted must be selected in “Manage Apps” (this applies to Android 5.0+). The “Manage Apps” feature can be found by tapping on the 3 x 3 dot matrix icon alongside “X apps enabled” text on the boosting screen.
Third, when there is little or no network activity (or data transfer) generated by your application, there will be no boosting.
9. Why is Netflix not usable?
Netflix bans VPN, a technology that is used in DataNinja application.
10. Why can’t certain apps be used when my phone is helped by another device but has no local Wi-Fi and mobile connection?
In the so-called “tethering” mode, certain applications (e.g. YouTube) check for the availability of a local internet connection before proceeding, even though the local internet connection is not used. If no local internet connection is present, these applications will not proceed.
11. Why can’t I play YouTube application through helper devices while playing YouTube video through browser works fine?
YouTube application is one of a few applications that require local internet connection to be enabled for it to work, even though the internet connectivity is provided completely through nearby helper devices, rather than local internet connection.
12. Why can’t I help multiple devices at the same time?
This is a current limitation of DataNinja. Future versions of the application may unlock this capability.
13. How to enable or disable the overlay on the upper left corner of the screen?
You can toggle the “Notification” button on the “Settings” screen to enable or disable the overlay on the upper left corner of the screen when the device is in the Boosting mode.
14. When is monthly limit reset? How to change the limit?
A user’s monthly mobile data limit is reset on the first day of each month. It can be changed on the Settings screen. It only applies to the mobile data used to help other devices; it does not apply to the mobile data for the user’s own use.
15. How do I see usage information?
Tap on the clock icon at the upper right corner of the Main screen.
16. What happens if the monthly limit for a friend is reached?
When a monthly limit for a friend is reached, your device cannot use its mobile monthly limit to help this friend unless
(1) you increase the monthly limit for this friend;
(2) you wait until the monthly limit for this friend is reset on the first day of the following month;
(3) switch to another SIM that has some monthly mobile data balance remaining for this friend.
17. Why do I see zero data usage in some sessions on the history screen?
If no data is generated by an application before a boosting session ends, the data usage can show up as 0. Alternatively, if the application is not enabled in “Manage Apps”, all the data usage generated by this application will not go through DataNinja application and the data usage will show up as 0, too.
18. What does the gray color on the donut chart mean on the boost screen?
The gray color indicates the contributions from past connections that are not currently active in a booster session.
19. How long do I have to wait before I can get connected to a nearby device?
Usually, a connection with a nearby device is made within 15 seconds or less. However, occasionally, it may take up to 2 minutes for a connection to be made.